Small fire forces local Metro to toss fresh fruits and veggies

Published by admin on

Metro grocery store on Northern Avenue dealt with a minor electrical fire at the hot chicken counter Saturday afternoon; because a fire extinguisher was used, Algoma Public Health ordered all produce nearby to be throw in the garbage

The produce shelves are restocked at the Metro grocery store on Northern Avenue after the response to a small fire required fresh fruits and vegetables to be thrown in the garbage.

Firefighters were dispatched to the store at about 5 p.m. on Saturday, said Aaron Gravelle, public education officer with the Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services.

“We were called out on Saturday to one of the Metro stores, however, there was no fire upon our arrival,” said Gravelle. “A fire extinguisher had been discharged by an employee.”

Metro spokesperson Stephanie Bonk confirmed there was a fire in the store on Saturday.

“It was a minor electrical fire at the hot chicken case and an employee used a fire extinguisher to put it out,” said Bonk. “As a result, Algoma Public Health asked the store to discard all fresh product nearby.”

Produce shelves in the store were mostly empty on Monday morning but were filled back up by the same time Tuesday.

Categories: Latest News


Leave a Reply

Avatar placeholder

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *