Kids have new things to explore at Hilton Union library
Thanks to a $3,500 donation from Sault North Rotary, new Exploration Kits — which aim to encourage hands-on learning — will be part of the kids program
Exploration Kits are coming to the Hilton Union Public Library.
Thanks to a $3,500 donation from Sault North Rotary, the kits – which aim to encourage hands-on learning – will be a part of the kids program.
Some examples of the Exploration Kits that will be available soon include:
- Explore Music – small instruments, music CDs, music books
- Explore Arts & Crafts – a variety of painting and drawing mediums (watercolours, acrylic, chalk, colour pencils)
- Explore Birding – binoculars, bird identification books, feeding birds books
- Explore Planting – Seeds, Planting medium, Guide books on gardening
- Explore Nature – Scrapbook to collect leaves or other nature treasures, Guide books to identify plants, rocks, animal tracks, Scavenger hunt games
The initiative was put forth by librarian Kim McHale, who expects the kits to be both fun-filled and educationally enriching.
“I hope that this encourages even more library involvement where children always feel welcome,” she said in a news release. “I look very forward to the feedback from our young patrons on their experiences with the kits and their interests for future expansions.”
Fellow Rotarian and retired teacher Frank Greco hopes they will “open doors to career option exploration,” as well as become “a shared experience with a family member, friend or in a classroom setting.”
Sault North Rotary is dedicated to supporting youth development in our area.
The funds for the kits were raised by the organization’s Sault North Rotary Trip of The Month Fundraiser and Nevada Ticket sales.